“You can’t teach an old dog new tricks – I am too old to learn modern technology,” you may say if you are a senior teacher. When you say that do you really believe it?
Are you using a cell phone? How old were you when you learned to use it? Perhaps you felt the same way about a cell phone a few years ago as you are feeling about a laptop at present. But you learned to operate a cell phone – at first just to make phone calls. Later you discovered the value of a text message (SMS). Now you may use it to take pictures of your grandchildren, or many of the other features your mobile device offers you.
Think about a laptop as just a bigger cell phone. If you conquered a cell phone, you can conquer a laptop. It all depends on how willing and eager you are to learn.
Many teachers in their fifties, sixties and seventies have already mastered the use of laptops and now proclaim that they can’t imagine life without them. If you are a life long learner, this is what you will do – continue to learn new things as they come your way.
There are some teachers who may feel
Too old for a new trick
Old dogs rebel – protest and squeal –
Their painful wounds they lick
The opposite is often true
– Life is not always grim –
Old ducks sometimes learn new things too
And dogs can learn to swim
Oft older teachers do excel
And learn an IT skill
All apprehensions they expel
Not yet right o’er the hill
While you are still able to teach, you are not yet over the hill. The education system needs your experience, passion and commitment – and above all, your example. When you get the better of your laptop, you will be setting an example to the younger teacher generation.
Click here to find answers to more laptop related questions.
2 Comments to Am I not too old to learn how to use a laptop?
- Wayne of BlackBoard applauds the #motheoconf2013 for having a Twitter stream, displayed to all conference attendees. Tweeted 8 hours ago
- "Lecturers, e-learning starts with you," says Wayne of BlackBoard. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 8 hours ago
- Since this space is now used for advertising ... MUSTEK and LEZMIN are your premium technology partners in the Free State. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 11 hours ago
- Seeing that this space is now used for advertising... remember that MUSTEK and LEZMIN are your premium Free State technology partners. Tweeted 11 hours ago
- #motheoconf2013 The Telkom guy says connectivity is key for FET education... he would say that, wouldn't he! Tweeted 12 hours ago
A calender of all posts to date