Monday, April 27th, 2009 | laptops
A laptop has the potential to change the way a teacher works. But you may wonder: “What is wrong with the way I am working? I managed fine till now – why should I change a winning recipe? ”
Change is not easy – particularly if you have worked hard to reach a zone of comfort. You may balk at the idea of changing at a time when you are reaping the fruits of years of labour, having reached a point where your job makes fewer demands on you.
There are good reasons why you should consider changing the way you work. The world around us is changing.
- The way people communicate is changing – think about cell phones and email.
- The way people find information is changing.
- The requirements for preparing your learners for their future jobs are changing.
In a changing world you can not afford to remain static. But there are more compelling reasons why you should accept the challenge of change. Why did you become a teacher in the first place? Perhaps you said: “I want to make a difference; I want to bring about a change in the circumstances of children.” Do you still feel that way? If you do, do you seriously think that you will be able to bring about a change for others if you yourself are not willing to make a change in the way you are working as a teacher?
If teaching is just a job to you – a means of earning a living – change may not be your priority. But if teaching is a mission, you will make whatever changes are necessary to meet the changing needs of your learners.
Learning to use a laptop may take a lot of your time. You may not get immediate material compensation for this. If you are a life long learner, if you want to be a better teacher, and if you don’t want to be left behind, you will make the effort to learn to use new tools.
If you find it difficult to make changes in the way you work, remind yourself: “Why did I start teaching in the first place – was it not to bring about a change? ”
Click here to find answers to more laptop related questions.
1 Comment to Why should I change the way I work?
- Publishers must provide content that FET colleges can put into their Learning Management Systems ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- FET colleges must "e" ... says Malcolm of Macmillan. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- Seek an educational solution of an educaitonal problem, not a technology solution for an educational problem. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- Money can't put right what our sham education system has left out over the course of a learner's schooling ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- He that does not know that he does not know, does not know that he does not know (Peter Mkhari) #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
A calender of all posts to date