Saturday, April 25th, 2009 | laptops
Before this question can be answered, you first have to understand what “empowerment” really means. The word is rather overused these days and has become somewhat of a cliché.
Empowerment is defined as the process of increasing the capacity of an individual to make choices and to transform those choices into desired actions and outcomes. Empowered people have freedom of choice and action. This in turn enables them to better influence the course of their lives and the decisions which affect them.
This means that empowerment is about two things:
- increasing your ability to make choices
- making it possible for you to translate those choices into action.
Can your laptop do this for you? Yes, it can.
It opens up a world store of information to you so that you are aware of all the choices you have, both in your personal and professional life. Your laptop also has the potential to give you an alternative way to work. Being a mobile device, it gives you the choice where you want to work, when you want to work and how you want to work – this ability is in itself liberating and empowering.
A laptop can give you wings! If you feel you are running a treadmill and need to take charge of your own professional development, a laptop may prove to be a powerful tool to help you. You will be surprised how the use of this little machine could boost your confidence – you will suddenly wake up to the fact that you are no longer on the wrong side of the digital divide.
Once you are empowered, you, in turn, can help your learners to taste true empowerment.
But keep in mind that a laptop is only a tool. True empowerment depends to a large extent on you.
And remember, your laptop will only empower you if you power it on.
Click here to find answers to more laptop related questions.
- Publishers must provide content that FET colleges can put into their Learning Management Systems ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- FET colleges must "e" ... says Malcolm of Macmillan. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- Seek an educational solution of an educaitonal problem, not a technology solution for an educational problem. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- Money can't put right what our sham education system has left out over the course of a learner's schooling ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- He that does not know that he does not know, does not know that he does not know (Peter Mkhari) #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
A calender of all posts to date