Saturday, March 28th, 2009 | laptops, Maintenance
It is important to clean the screen of your laptop regularly – dust and dirt may cause scratches when the screen is touched.
Always use a dry, soft cloth to remove dust, fingerprints and smudges from the screen. If this does not completely remove the dirt, try a cloth slightly dampened with hot water. For persistent dirt spray cleaning fluid on the cloth (or use cleaning wipes) and gently wipe in one direction – left to right or top to bottom.
Special cleaning materials for computer screens are obtainable commercially. Often these materials are in the shape of anti-static, pre-moistened wipes. If these are not available, you can make your own cleaning solution by mixing one part water with one part isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol). If you do not have isopropyl alcohol, you may use a small quantity of vinegar instead.
When you clean the screen, there are a number of things you must avoid.
Don’t use paper towels or tissues – even though they appear soft they could scratch the screen.
Don’t use an abrasive cloth that has the potential to cause scratches – for best results use a piece of cloth cut from an old T-shirt.
Don’t use household cleaning fluids with an ammonium base (look on the label of the cleaning fluid) – ammonium will dissolve part of the protective top layer of the screen, leaving a dull, smudged effect.
Don’t spray liquid directly onto the screen, as some of the spray may penetrate the machine.
Don’t apply too much pressure when cleaning the screen – it could be damaged in the process.
Follow two simple rules as preventative measures.
Don’t touch the screen with your fingers when using the laptop – this will save cleaning time.
Don’t leave the lid of the laptop open when it is not in use – this will prevent dust from gathering on the screen.
Sometimes you do not realize how dirty your laptop’s screen is until you look at it from an angle. Make a habit of cleaning it regularly, thereby extending its life.
Click here to find answers to more laptop related questions.
5 Comments to How must I clean my laptop’s screen?
- Publishers must provide content that FET colleges can put into their Learning Management Systems ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 1 day ago
- FET colleges must "e" ... says Malcolm of Macmillan. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 1 day ago
- Seek an educational solution of an educaitonal problem, not a technology solution for an educational problem. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 1 day ago
- Money can't put right what our sham education system has left out over the course of a learner's schooling ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 1 day ago
- He that does not know that he does not know, does not know that he does not know (Peter Mkhari) #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 1 day ago
A calender of all posts to date