Sunday, March 6th, 2011 | Computer Usage
A sign telling you that eating, drinking or smoking are not allowed is found in most computer rooms.
This rule is there for good reasons.
Drinking is discouraged because liquid spills can damage the equipment. Liquid may cause your keyboard to cease functioning. If you’re using a laptop, the liquid may trickle to the inside and damage your entire machine.
When you’re eating, crumbs will fall on the keyboard and it’s nearly impossible to get them out. These crumbs may not cause problems immediately, but they all add up. Sticky fingers cause dirt to accumulate wherever you touch the computer.
Eating or drinking may also cause discomfort to others in the room. Imagine how irritating crunching of potato crisps can be when you’re trying to concentrate, or what the effect of the smell of spicy, garlicky food will have on you.
As far as smoking is concerned … well, you know how much damage it does to your lungs (and to the lungs of those around you). The smoke and ash particles are likewise damaging to computer equipment.
These rules are not for learners only. They also apply to teachers, even when they are in the computer room after hours, preparing lessons or catching up on admin work.
1 Comment to What is wrong with eating, drinking and smoking in the computer room?
- Publishers must provide content that FET colleges can put into their Learning Management Systems ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 hours ago
- FET colleges must "e" ... says Malcolm of Macmillan. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 hours ago
- Seek an educational solution of an educaitonal problem, not a technology solution for an educational problem. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 hours ago
- Money can't put right what our sham education system has left out over the course of a learner's schooling ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 hours ago
- He that does not know that he does not know, does not know that he does not know (Peter Mkhari) #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 hours ago
A calender of all posts to date