Thursday, November 25th, 2010 | technology
Computer based training (CBT) is the method of choice for many people when they want to master technology. Around the world CBT has been used for many years, with excellent results. Millions of people have already benefited from this mode of training.
CBT is a system of training where a computer provides instructional material, instead of a trainer in a classroom. The material is presented to you on the computer screen and could be in a combination of formats, such as text, pictures, sound and video. The learning material is usually supplemented with exercises allowing you to test your knowledge or practise new skills.
In CBT the computer is your tutor.
This type of training is particularly useful when you don’t have access to training courses in the area where you live, when you can’t afford them or when you need to do training at a time convenient to you.
What role could CBT play in your quest for technology proficiency?
When you think about the many different aspects of technology you have to master, CBT is an attractive option – but there are two requirements:
CBT assumes that you have regular access to a computer. The best results are obtained when you have your own personal computer or laptop so that you can get into the learning material when it is convenient for you. Some teachers use computers at their schools to access CBT materials.
You need some knowledge of technology to be able to use technology to teach you more about technology. A computer can only be used for self-study if you understand its basics. For example, you must know how to retrieve the learning material – either on CD, DVD or the internet – and how to respond to exercises.
The value of technology as a personal learning tool will be demonstrated to you in a real way when you reach the stage where you are able to tap into the potential of CBT.
The value you can derive from CBT should be a strong motivation for you to learn how to use a computer without delay.
For more technology tips for teachers click here.
6 Comments to What role can computer based training play in helping me to master technology?
- Education has been in a downward spiral for some time ... has it now gone into free fall? Tweeted 2 days ago
- Whose responsibility is it to train teachers to use classroom technology? wp.me/p23NXx-6H Tweeted 2 days ago
- @markcarolissen Latitude allows for expanding the mind and to develop workable solutions ... I applaud you for using the opportunity. Tweeted 3 days ago
- @neiltyson @RichardDawkins Fortunately ample data is available in the physical world around us to support belief in creation and a creator. Tweeted 3 days ago
- Moving from a no-technology classroom to one that is rich in technology is not an easy journey ... but it's possible. Tweeted 3 days ago
A calender of all posts to date