Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 | technology
Courses covering a wide range of computer-related topics are available from commercial training companies. If you want to gain basic computer skills, or acquire advanced computer technology skills, or build expertise in specific software applications, you should have no trouble finding a course to suit your needs. In the cities and bigger towns such courses are more readily available than in rural areas.
At present training courses in the use of technologies other than computers – such as interactive whiteboards – are not plentiful. Courses are often offered as an add-on service by the supplier of specific technologies – some companies give such a course as a free service to clients, whereas others charge a fee.
A commercial course may be a perfect choice when:
- other training opportunities are not available
- you feel that other training options are not adequate
- training accessible to you does not suit your personality or learning style
- certification is important to you.
The advantages of a commercial course are:
- the training is done face-to-face
- the course is structured
- the presenter is a trained professional
- it is rewarded with a formal certificate.
The disadvantages of a commercial course are:
- you may not be able to afford it
- the course often concentrates on the technology itself and not so much on its application in the classroom
- the presenter may not understand the world of a teacher
- the course may be presented at an awkward time.
Check the references of the company before you enrol in a course. It would be prudent to talk to others who have already done the course to determine the level of benefit you can expect. Make sure you understand exactly what you will be taught, who the trainer will be and what type of certification you will receive.
After consideration you may conclude that a commercial course is the only option open to you – in that case you will be wise to make use of it. If other training options are available, assess all of them and then decide what will best satisfy your needs.
For more technology tips for teachers click here.
6 Comments to Should I enrol for a commercial course to help me gain technology skills?
Follow me on Twitter
A calender of all posts to date