Friday, September 24th, 2010 | e-Learning pioneers
The e-pioneer makes hay while the sun shines.
The rationale behind the idiom “make hay while the sun shines” may not be all that clear to city slickers. It originated in an agricultural setting and was used as far back as 1546 when it was in the form: “whan the sunne shynth make hey“. Just shows you how old it is!
This antique expression refers to the processing of hay after a harvest. The warmth of the sun is required to dry the wheat stalks and to turn them into hay. When a heap of hay, once dried, gets wet again, it starts to rot. In view of the unpredictability of the weather, the opportunity must therefore be grabbed to tie the hay in bundles and store them in a protected place while the weather holds.
The e-pioneer follows the principle of this idiom: help teachers take advantage of favourable circumstances – which may not last indefinitely – to become proficient in the use of technology.
When technology is placed in schools the sun of opportunity is shining. It is, however, shining through a shrinking window of opportunity.
For example: once technology has been installed, the hardware warranty clock starts ticking away; the time for optimal use and guaranteed vendor support is running out. Or, once the project making the technology available is completed, further training opportunities and technical support may not be available.
Principals, in particular, must make hay while the sun shines by seeing to it that favourable conditions are used to build technical skills in staff members.
Click here for more food for thought for e-pioneers.
1 Comment to Teachers, use favourable conditions to stock up on technical skills
- Publishers must provide content that FET colleges can put into their Learning Management Systems ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 2 hours ago
- FET colleges must "e" ... says Malcolm of Macmillan. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 2 hours ago
- Seek an educational solution of an educaitonal problem, not a technology solution for an educational problem. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 2 hours ago
- Money can't put right what our sham education system has left out over the course of a learner's schooling ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 2 hours ago
- He that does not know that he does not know, does not know that he does not know (Peter Mkhari) #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 2 hours ago
A calender of all posts to date