Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 | e-Learning pioneers
The e-pioneer promotes the best – not the easiest – road.
Starting on the road of using technology in the classroom is a daunting task. The story of two donkeys can be encouraging.
Two donkeys went on a long journey and were given a choice as to the load they had to carry. In front of them were two huge bags of equal size: one of them contained cotton and the other one sugar. One of the donkeys quickly chose the bag of cotton and the other one had to be satisfied with the bag of sugar.
After trekking for a couple of hours over a steep hill, the donkey carrying the sugar was near collapse, while the one who chose the cotton still had a spring in his step. Then they came to a river that they had to wade through. On the other side of the river, the donkey with the sugar load suddenly discovered that his load virtually disappeared. The other donkey was dismayed at the volume of water that was absorbed by the cotton and was later even more surprised at how reluctant the fibres were to release the water. One can imagine the ecstasy and agony of the rest of the journey.
The lesson from the donkey with the sugar is that the load gets lighter if one endures. Eventually the use of technology will make the teaching task a breeze. Those who insist on a light load will get bogged down with old-style teaching methods.
The e-pioneer must spend time showing teachers the sugar – allowing them to taste it – at the outset of the journey.
Click here for more food for thought for e-pioneers.
2 Comments to The road of least resistance is not always the best
- Publishers must provide content that FET colleges can put into their Learning Management Systems ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- FET colleges must "e" ... says Malcolm of Macmillan. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- Seek an educational solution of an educaitonal problem, not a technology solution for an educational problem. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- Money can't put right what our sham education system has left out over the course of a learner's schooling ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- He that does not know that he does not know, does not know that he does not know (Peter Mkhari) #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
A calender of all posts to date