Saturday, May 15th, 2010 | communication
In Greek mythology, Pandora was the first woman on earth. The gods endowed her with many talents, amongst others beauty, musical skills and the art of persuasion.
One of her gifts was a box, which she was not allowed to open under any circumstances but curiosity got the better of her and she opened it. The result? All imaginable evils escaped and spread over the earth. She tried to close the box, but everything escaped, except one thing which was left at the bottom of the box …
I have a box which I simply have to open each day – curiosity impels me to open my e-mail in-box the moment the computer is switched on. And then out flies everything that has been boxed in overnight – all 187 of them. Circulars; newsletters; invitations to get rich very quickly (I have been specially selected to help a poor widow from Gabon to bring her millions out of her country and into my bank account); remedies to beautify and enlarge all aspects of my physique and improve my psyche; jokes – most of these have been circling the globe a couple of times over the past day. My colleagues insist on copying me in on all their correspondence – perhaps they feel I will be offended if they leave me in the dark, or otherwise they try to impress me with their diligence.
I am overwhelmed by emails; it takes an awful lot of time just to sift through them to find the ones that are of real importance.
At the bottom of the box there remains the one thing that did not fly out of Pandora’s box: hope.
I hope that we will eventually find a way to use this tool as a time-saver rather than a time-waster.
3 Comments to My e-mail in-box – a Pandora’s box?
- Publishers must provide content that FET colleges can put into their Learning Management Systems ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- FET colleges must "e" ... says Malcolm of Macmillan. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- Seek an educational solution of an educaitonal problem, not a technology solution for an educational problem. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- Money can't put right what our sham education system has left out over the course of a learner's schooling ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
- He that does not know that he does not know, does not know that he does not know (Peter Mkhari) #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 3 days ago
A calender of all posts to date