When technology is introduced into a school, school management must budget for adequate training. As a rule of thumb, the amount earmarked for training must not be less than the amount spent on the technology. This principle also applies to interactive whiteboards.
“But then interactive whiteboards will cost us an arm and a leg!” a school manager may lament. And this is not an understatement.
Fanciful stories are told about the origin of the expression “an arm and a leg”. One of them is that, in times past, artists based their charges for portraits on the number of arms and legs that appeared in the picture. This is a fallacy. The idiom was coined during the last century – it is used to stress how outrageously expensive something is. A similar saying is “to give one’s right arm”, indicating that you are willing to sacrifice your dominant limb – something very valuable – to reach an objective. It follows that paying an arm and a leg for training means that you are making a considerable sacrifice to gain the required skills.
Your school, or education department, should be prepared to make a financial sacrifice to empower you to use your interactive whiteboard. During the planning phase of an interactive classroom, training costs must be factored into the total cost of ownership.
But what about you – the teacher? Is it expected that you also sacrifice an arm and a leg?
It may not be required of you to pay for training courses, but when training is available it is expected that you should sacrifice time to benefit from the opportunity. Often training is offered after work hours, over the week-end, or during vacation periods. You will also need time to practise. This is where you need to make a sacrifice. Time and effort are the two things you should be willing to sacrifice for the sake of your professional development.
It is difficult to put an exact price tag on interactive whiteboard training – circumstances differ. But don’t hesitate to make a personal sacrifice when you have to learn new technology to become a better teacher.
Click here for more information about interactive whiteboards.
3 Comments to How much will interactive whiteboard training cost me?
- Wayne of BlackBoard applauds the #motheoconf2013 for having a Twitter stream, displayed to all conference attendees. Tweeted 18 hours ago
- "Lecturers, e-learning starts with you," says Wayne of BlackBoard. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 18 hours ago
- Since this space is now used for advertising ... MUSTEK and LEZMIN are your premium technology partners in the Free State. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 22 hours ago
- Seeing that this space is now used for advertising... remember that MUSTEK and LEZMIN are your premium Free State technology partners. Tweeted 22 hours ago
- #motheoconf2013 The Telkom guy says connectivity is key for FET education... he would say that, wouldn't he! Tweeted 23 hours ago
A calender of all posts to date