Wednesday, October 28th, 2009 | IWBs
Demonstrations of interactive whiteboards make all them appear so impressive – the choice is rather difficult.
Don’t be blinded by the brilliance of the boards – or the persuasiveness of the salespeople. Even though it seems as if the power resides in the board, it does not. The interactive whiteboard is simply a large display medium, with touch screen functionality. The real magic happens in the computer that is driving everything that’s taking place on the board.
You know that a computer is as good as the software used by it. It therefore follows that the effectiveness of an interactive whiteboard does not lie with the hardware components, but with the software that drives it.
Any software can be used in conjunction with an interactive whiteboard. But keep in mind that most educational software products were developed with learners in front of computer workstations in mind. An interactive whiteboard is essentially a teacher tool and the software required for its successful operation must be such that it can act like a flipchart.
Two important factors to keep in mind about interactive whiteboard software are:
Does the software allow for the creation of presentations and lessons – and allow interactions such as dragging items around on the screen?
Does the software meet your particular curriculum needs?
So back to the question: “How do I choose an interactive whiteboard?” You will probably consider factors such as cost, vendor ability to support the product, advice from your peers, and your own personal preferences. But the most important consideration must be the availability of appropriate software for your intended use of the device.
Click here for more information about interactive whiteboards.
2 Comments to How do I choose an interactive whiteboard?
- Publishers must provide content that FET colleges can put into their Learning Management Systems ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 18 hours ago
- FET colleges must "e" ... says Malcolm of Macmillan. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 18 hours ago
- Seek an educational solution of an educaitonal problem, not a technology solution for an educational problem. #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 18 hours ago
- Money can't put right what our sham education system has left out over the course of a learner's schooling ... #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 18 hours ago
- He that does not know that he does not know, does not know that he does not know (Peter Mkhari) #motheoconf2013 Tweeted 18 hours ago
A calender of all posts to date